Each month, a Zuma Team member chooses a charity to highlight and add to our donations checkout page. For February, our very own Melody Yip has chosen Invisible Girl Project. In India, gendercide – mass killings of girls and women – is a devastating issue. Girls and women are discriminated against and murdered simply because they are female. On average, one girl a minute is aborted because she is female. Infant girls are 75% more likely to be killed than boys. 50 million girls and women are missing from India’s population, all due to gendercide.
From Melody: “It breaks my heart to see women and girls refused the dignity and the life that they deserve, and the reasons are terribly unjust. I chose this charity to give these women a bigger voice and encourage others to advocate for them so that these terrible practices end.”
Here are some other ways you can get involved with Invisible Girl Project:
- Sponsor a girl – financially support a young girl/woman in India so that she can rise above the discrimination and oppression she faces from family and society
- Give a one-time contribution – donate to a specific need, whether it’s trauma counseling for survivors or providing school supplies for girls
- Give monthly to support IGP on a consistent basis
In the month of January, 172 Zuma customers donated to our seven main charities and our January charity Houston Welcome Refugees. By using our donations checkout page and rounding up their order totals, they were able to donate $80.82 in total! Thank you all so much for contributing to these groups and doing good work!
- St. Jude Children’s Hospital
- The V Foundation
- Living Water International
- Hope International
- World Vision
- The Salvation Army
- Samaritan’s Purse