Zuma’s primary purpose and “reason for being” is to give back as much of our profits as possible to help great charities do good work and make a difference. Our mission is to give back over half our annual profits to a select group of outstanding charities, and we are excited to say Zuma has donated over 100% of our profits since starting our business in January 2010.
We are committed to transparency regarding our charitable contributions, and provide this annual update to keep anyone who is interested informed of our progress. Our only regret is that we are not giving back more. The tough economy and a very competitive office supplies market makes it very difficult for any company in this industry to make a profit as illustrated by the latest Office Depot / OfficeMax merger.
We are making progress thanks to loyal customers, our fans who help spread the word to their friends and family, and great employees who provide unmatched customer service to create satisfied customers. It’s because of you, our loyal customers, that Zuma is able to do our small part to make the world a better place, so please view our results as your success!
In the words of the writer Elizabeth Bibesco:
“Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting.”
Our Customer Votes
Zuma’s Top Charities as Selected by Our Customers – Fiscal year ending 6/30/14:
- The V Foundation for Cancer Research – Cancer Research
- Best Friends Animal Society – Pets & Animals
- Fisher House Foundation – Military Families
- Big Brothers / Big Sisters – Children
- Save the Children – Children
- Salvation Army – Humanitarian Aid
- SafePlace – Domestic Violence Support
- Year Up – Education For Disadvantaged Youth
- Capital Area Food Bank – Hunger
- Prison Entrepreneurship Program – Prison Mentorship
Zuma has donated $33,396.98 to the 10 charities we support in our first four full years in business. Most new companies take 3-5 years before they reach profitability due to upfront investment, and Zuma is no exception. However, we made the decision to stay true to our mission and donate a minimum of $5000 per year, ($500 per charity) even before we were profitable. This in part explains why we have donated over 100% of our total corporate profits thus far.
While modest, Zuma did begin making a profit in late 2012, and we work hard each day to drive growth and profitability because the fact is if we do not grow, we do not give back. We appreciate the loyalty of our great customers, the relationships we’ve developed with the charities we support, and look forward to doing good work together for many years to come. Please tell a friend and other businesses about Zuma – you have no idea how much that helps our progress!
Why Does Zuma Give Back?
We have five primary reasons/goals for giving back:
- Help others who are less fortunate than ourselves.
- Add meaning to the work life of all Zuma employees.
- Educate shoppers about highly rated, quality charities who are truly making a difference.
- Be an example to other businesses who are considering giving back.
- Encourage our customers to consider donating to these great charities.
Should you have any questions regarding our charitable giving, the voting preferences of our customers, or just want to talk about giving back, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-473-4097. Thank you for helping Zuma DO GOOD WORK!